Thursday, May 19, 2011

EaRtHqUAke!

Two months ago, we experienced our first earthquake. Well rather Mark experienced it because he was the only one awake. He rushed into the room and told me to get out of bed that there had been an earthquake and that we need to get out of the building! I rushed to get dressed, grabbed the babies (thank goodness they sleep in their carseats). Mark quickly got our passports, laptop and Aivia and we raced down four flights of stairs. I expected the whole building to be outside, but there were only a few people outside. I felt silly because I was wearing my pajama bottoms, a T-shirt, sweater, and my new shoes (if the building was going down I wanted my good shoes!). Everyone that was outside acted like it was no big deal. I could just imagine hearing them talking about the crazy the Americans. We got in our van and called our friends who live on the 7th floor of their building. They told us that they had both gotten nauseous at the same time before realizing that the building was swaying because of the earthquake! As we headed back upstairs a neighbor that had originally told us to get out of the building called out to Mark, "I have my earthquake stash." He opened his bag to reveal a 6 pack of beer! He and his friends were having an earthquake party outside!
Well it turned out to be a 5.9 earthquake that was about two hours away, but we felt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment