Monday, August 6, 2012

The Black Sea

About a month ago, Mark and I took the kids on a little outing to Yoros Castle located on the spot where the Bosphorus empties into the Black Sea  (picture below).  It was a pretty amazing view!


Then we explored the castle.  Yoros Castle is ancient fortress dating back to the early Greeks.  At one time there was a Greek temple to Zeus located on the spot where the castle ruins now sit.  Turkey is an interesting country because they don't really have much regard for history.  They haven't learned to capitalize on it like Americans have! :)  Unfortunately, this also means historical sites are often not taken care of and allowed to be destroyed by picnickers. I found an interesting article on about Yoros . Click on the orangeYoros to learn more.  The article states that part of the castle was used by picnickers as toilets!

Yoros sits on a strategic military spot, access to Russia via the Black Sea.  Because of this, Yoros has been a highly sought after spot for centuries.  Presently the Turks have a huge military area there.

Below are pictures of what is left of the fortress including Christian markings left on the two towers.  You know me, I snap a picture of a Christian emblem anytime I see one!  One of the emblems from what I read is supposed to be a kind of crest of a particular Byzantine family ?









No comments:

Post a Comment