Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Oddities

On Thursdays, my Turkish friend takes me to the local covered market, called the pazar, to buy vegetables. I love going to the pazar because I never know what I might find there. The pazar sells anything from vegetables to underwear so it is great fun to go every week. I guess it is the closest thing to a thrift store that I could find here, except that it is all new. One Thursday, at the pazar, I stumbled upon this vegetable or fruit. I have no idea what it is and no one around could give me anything but a Turkish name for it. I did find out that it is similar to a pomegranate. Any ideas?
I asked permission to take a picture of the fruit and then the men selling it wanted their picture taken. I was happy to oblige. Notice the beautiful strawberries (still in season here), cherries, and other fruit that they were selling.
Then my Turkish friend had to have her picture taken!


Later that week I found this at the grocery store. Looks like a tomato doesn't it?

It is not. Cutting it open reveals that it is an orange eggplant! I thought surely my Turkish friends would know how to cook it, so I bought plenty. Sadly none of my Turkish friends had ever seen one, so I did what any truly good Southern woman would do in my situation; I sliced them, battered them, and fried them. We ate a few and then threw the rest away. I am sorry to report that they were bitter, and don't even taste good, fried!


No comments:

Post a Comment